Building Strong Foundations for Early Learning
Elkin Elementary Preschool
Provides direct, screening, and intervention instructional services for at-risk and inclusive preschool students ages 3-5 in two inclusive classrooms
|Below Poverty Level||70%||68%||68%||77%|
Classroom instruction includes: smart board and other technologies as well as phonological pre-literacy programs.
Services to parents include: trainings, take home learning packets, books and activities check out, individual conferences, and parent nights.
Facilities are the same ones students will use when they transition to kindergarten—cafeteria, media center, gymnasium, buses, etc.
Split-funded program that operates on small pieces of funding and without all of them we would not be able to offer services to all at-risk students.
Elkin Elementary Preschool Program
The Elkin Elementary preschool program serves children who live in the Elkin City Schools district and who qualify for specific preschool services. Parents submit a Preschool Screening Application form. Children are scheduled for screening, results are shared with parents, and a determination is made as to whether the child qualifies for services in one or more of the following service areas.
To qualify for Exceptional Children services, preschool children who are at least three years old must be eligible in one of the categories of disability set forth in The North Carolina Policies Governing Services for Children with Disabilities. Categories of disability include: Autism, Serious Emotional Disability, Deafness-Blindness, Deafness, Hearing Impairment, Intellectual Disability, Multiple Disabilities, Other Health Impairment, Orthopedic Impairment, Developmental Delayed, Specific Learning Disability, Speech-Language Impairment, Traumatic Brain Injury, or Visually Impairment including Blindness.
Preschool children with disabilities include, without limitation, all 3- and 4-year-old children and those 5-year-old children who are ineligible for kindergarten and who because of permanent or temporary cognitive, communication, social/emotional and/or adaptive disabilities are unable to have all of their developmental needs met in a natural environment without special education and related services
To qualify for Title I services, preschool children who are at least four years old must be considered at-risk in one or more of the following areas:
- Academic need as indicated on developmental assessment ,
- Family economic situation,
- Limited English skills, and/or
- Other at-risk factors which would adversely effect social-emotional, intellectual and physical develpoment
To qualify for NC Pre-K services, preschool children who are at least four years old by August 31st of the program year must be considered at-risk in at least one of the following areas: gross family income at or below 75% of the state median income level or have an identified disability.
Once all at-risk NC Pre-K children have been served, the following criteria can also be considered:
- Limited English Proficiency,
- Developmental or educational need as indicated on developmental assessment,
- Chronic Health Condition as indicated by a health care provider diagnosis,
- At least one parent or legal guardian who is an active duty member of the armed forces of the US, the NC National Guard or other state military force,
- At least one parent or legal guardian who is an active duty member of a Reserve Unit of the armed forces and who is ordered to active duty by the proper authority within the last 18 months, or expected to be ordered within the next 18 months.
- A child whose parent or legal guardian has been seriously injured or killed while on active duty is also eligible.
Fee For Service
To qualify for Fee for Service, parents of preschool children who are at least four years old must contract to pay tuition for their child to attend the Elkin Elementary Preschool Program. Once all slots are filled, a waiting list will be established.
Fee For Service – Elkin City School Employee Children
Employee’s children who are at least three years old may attend the Elkin Elementary Preschool Program, if their parents contract to pay tuition to attend. An “employee” does not include a substitute or temporary employee.