How do I become a substitute teacher?
Effective March 23, 2009, the Elkin City Schools System requires that anyone interested in becoming a substitute teacher complete “Effective Teacher Training (ETT) for Substitutes” prior to becoming a substitute teacher. This training is offered through an online module which can be found at http://www.wresa.org/ Scroll down to “Substitute Teacher Certification” or the ETT course can also be completed through Surry or Wilkes Community College. You can contact Allison Moxley at 336-835-3135 Ext. 226 to get more information. Upon successful completion of the training, please complete an on line application (Go to website https://nc.teachermatch.
org/jobsboard.do?districtId=) If you have a teaching certificate whether current or expired, you may use this certificate, in lieu of the Effective Teacher Training. Once you have submitted your application, please contact Allison Moxley at 336-835-3135 Ext. 226. 569419133
The substitute teacher process:
• Complete the on-line application (Go to this website https://nc.teachermatch.
• Attend Effective Teacher Training through Online Module (http://www.wresa.org/ )
or Surry (http://www.surry.edu/ CorpContEd/BrowseCourses/) or Wilkes Community College. (http://www.wilkescc.edu/default.aspx) CareerDevelopment/Education. aspx
* Contact one of the Principals at Elkin Elementary, Elkin Middle or Elkin High School to receive a recommendation.
• Present teacher certificate (current or expired)
• Upon approval by the Board of Education, you will be scheduled for New Employee Orientation.
Salary for substitutes:
* Certified teacher with current North Carolina license: Daily rate: $103.00
* Expired/out-of-state teaching license, Effective Teacher Trained, Non-certified: Daily rate: $80.00